Thursday, July 30, 2009

The most memorable night yet

Terrorism didn't disappoint. The prof is incredibly witty and well-humored. Not to mention Chris and I sat with a new friend, a pretty girl from Nevada who studies in DC. Did I mention her name is Scarlett? What a great name, especially for a femme fatale or beautiful sinister woman. My roommate had to go home for the weekend to work but he was kind enough to accompany me to the super market, which I can now thankfully find by myself.

Wow the pub crawl was rowdy. I can't piece together all of the finer details but when they start a pub crawl at 4:00 pm you can imagine just how quickly things can get wild. The crawl began at the Union pub on the college campus and then moved to Naughton's. From there we went to Prince Alfred's, where I wish we would have stayed longer because I bought a pot (jug) of beer almost as we were leaving so I had to give most of it away. Queesbury completely sucked because it was too crowded and bright. I waited so long to get a drink that I outright gave up, not to mention most of my close friends went to get food so I was stranded making awkard conversation with kids I hadn't bonded as well with. Public Bar was pretty awesome and I met up with my Swedish friend Filip. He was talking to an American girl Cara and she gave me a free pint of beer. After we got to talking Filip bought us all a drink as well. Two debts I will repay soon, likely at the Swedish colony's house party on Friday. Wish I remember Bev and Mick's better, other than splitting another jug with my dutch friend Fleur (visiting her in Amsterdam next summer) and seeing more friends get here. At 9:00 PM we split for Turf, the pub right next to the village I stay at.


Turf is where the shit got out of control. And yes, I know sometimes I get a little out of hand. Turf normally draws a crowd but I had never seen it as busy as it was. On the way in Matteo and I made the executive decision to say fuck the bathroom and pissed in the alley. Young men in Melbourne. We would later find each other again, say we had to pee, and return to our spot. Memories of Matteo's spirit and his easygoing tendencies that so resemble mine will last quite some time. Quite a good friend I've found.


The evening progressed and before I knew it I was back to my usual routine, with the girl I can't get out of my mind. After some good talks and some better kisses I made my way inside to split what would be my last jug of the night. After finishing the jug outside I set my coat down inside and ran into some friends from my college. Before I knew it I was dancing with one and that quickly escalating into some drunk kissing, also quite enjoyable. This particular girl is of great interest to me because of the way we've come to know each other and both of our social encounters and reactions with each other. I can't help but think I see something when she looks me in the eyes. Who knows. Maybe we'll be friends? Maybe more? Maybe nothing? I guess we'll see.

No stranger to small groups and the way word spreads like wildfire as soon as that ended I had to tell the girl I'd been dating. She was extremely understanding and mature and didn't seem to mind at all. Perhaps that comes with being 23? At any rate the way she handled the situation made me like her more and hate myself...I suppose admiration is a doubled edged sword.

The conversation progressed and we had "the talk." This is where I wish I had shut up and told her to talk to me about it tomorrow. When I'm drunk I truly believe my normal charm and charisma are present, but they really aren't. What we did settle, from what I remember, is that right now she isn't up for a relationship but it is still in the cards...who knows what I want by the way...Her reasoning is what bothers me, though. She is afraid of falling in love here and having to lose that love when we head back to our respective countries. To me if you have a good thing going and you have a chance for love you go for it and let it happen, because when you're older you are going to look back on what you've done and realize you should have taken the fucking leap of faith into unknowingness and see if you come out with something beautiful. Foregoing the good for fear of the bad, especially when you've been given a chance like we have, is reasoning that disappoints me greatly. At any rate she said she needs time but wants to be with friends for now, which is fine. At some point we both began tearing up, although I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm living a real life romantic tragedy, an opportunity I'm extremely grateful for. Or maybe it will work out. Hopefully we will continue to hear the music when we see each other. If not, life goes on-for better or for worse.


So a quick recap of the highlights...I bonded with my Italian brother by peeing in an alley twice, kissed a girl from my college who only seemed interested in talking to me once I saw her in the Melbourne airport (I saw her in the NZ airport and was ready to strike up a convo but she averted her eyes in typical fashion), and had a beautiful Finnish girl tell me I was the one but she couldn't fall further in love with me for fear of the pain when we went home and inevitably had to break up. Thursday nights have never been better.


Well shit that was really long but also the most eventful night I've had here, in college, maybe even ever as far as I remember. I can't describe the way I feel. It is a mixture of happiness, confusion, and indifference. It's almost as if now is the most free I'll ever be and I think I'm realizing it's time to make the most of the opportunities I have here-not that I haven't been doing my best. My feet feel light and I feel like I need to get outside. I think I'm going to take a long walk down Elizabeth street. Alone. Fuck it, maybe I'll even go to McDonald's or some shit. I haven't been there in years. I still find it disgusting but I've never felt this way before and for some fucking indescribable reason I want to go order a Big Mac and sit down and eat it alone.

Until next time

a Daniel Rosales that has never felt quite like this

No comments:

Post a Comment